Saturday, May 19, 2018

There have been times over the past year when I've felt like my to-do list looks like this mass of wires seen in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

The challenges before me have felt hopelessly chaotic with too many loose ends to tie up.  Sometimes.  But in the past two weeks I am beginning to see some light!

One reason is that I now have Country Directors in five of the countries I oversee.  Over half of them are new to the position  and I'm enjoying working with them as they learn their roles and as they take on some of the responsibilities I was caring for.

I'd appreciate prayer as I continue learning my role as WGM's Regional Director of Europe, Asia and Oceania.

My last trip was to Cambodia and I accompanied WGM's President and his wife, Dan and Pam Schafer, along with my boss, the V.P. of International Ministries, Tim Rickel.  We visited a new family who have only been in Phnom Penh for six months.  This country is full of painful history.  Some of you may remember the true story captured in the Oscar award winning film, The Killing Fields.  Two million Cambodians were killed in the late 1970's by the Khmer Rouge.  It was sobering to visit the school turned prison where innocent civilians were tortured and killed.  We were able to meet one of the 12 survivors from this experience who is still alive today.


Joy, Tim Rickel and survivor of Toul Sleng Prison

We then traveled just outside the city to a monument at the killing fields.  It was a grim reminder of the evil of genocide.


We were introduced to both rural and urban life in Cambodia where 83% of the population are Buddhists. We enjoyed the opportunities to share with pastors and visit several outreach projects.  Opportunities abound!   Learn more about this incredible country in this 2 minute video.

Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh, on the Mekong River


My last trip also involved visiting friends in another Asian country.
Again, so much to learn.  New foods, experiencing a crowded street like never before (and I've been a few places:) and having our hearts broken from hearing from local brothers and sisters who struggle to make a difference in the lives of others.  We left encouraged and were happy to hear about involvement through counseling, International School education, a baby home, and teaching English.  All these activities are making a huge impact in lives.

And before that I was in Albania where I celebrated Easter.  Although I was there for only a few days it was great to get together with our team including my brother and sister-in-law, Len and Betsy.   Easter Saturday, a blustery day, the Waggoner family took me, a friend from Kenya and a volunteer to the coast.


It was a wonderful time to appreciate God's beautiful creation and get over 18,000 steps in!  Compared to Asia Albania has a lot of similarities to the US.  I even found what looked very close to a hot cross bun at the local bakery!


Before Albania I spent some time in Greece where I attended a continuing education medical conference.  Sessions in the Community Health track were insightful and inspirational.  It was especially fun to see so many of my former colleagues from Tenwek.  One day a friend and I made our way to Athens via public transport.  To be honest, the fact that we maneuvered the bus and metro systems successfully without getting lost was a huge success in and of itself!  In Athens we visited a refugee camp that hosts people who have fled Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and Africa.  Check out their instagram account.  


Our tour guide was a volunteer who is a graduate from my alma mater, Indiana Wesleyan University!  Activities that volunteers help with at the camp include:  arts & crafts, theater & film, sports & games, little school, dance, women's hour, sewing, and green street, etc.  

WGM is hoping to send a team to Project Elea next spring.  Stay tuned for more information.  


And how fun that this view can be seen from just a few metro stops away from the project!

I'm preparing to visit Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Japan in June.  I will also be in Indiana for several meetings.  I've come down with a respiratory bug after 3 out of my last 4 international flights.  Will you pray with me that my immune system will remain strong enough to fight off these bugs that I may come into contact with while traveling?

One project that WGM has been active in for 80 years is the South India Biblical Seminary. (Article at bottom of link is about WGM's history with SIBS)  It was great to be able to celebrate that milestone with them last November.  This ministry includes a Seminary and VBS ministry. 


SIBS was founded by WGM and we are committed to continuing to support its mission of preparing leaders for the Church in India.  Would you consider joining me in partnering with SIBS?  Online gifts can be made here.  Please pray for SIBS's new Principal and the Board as they continue investing in the academic and spiritual life of the school.  Pray that this year's VBS materials will reach tens of thousands of children hungering for truth and love.  To date their materials have reached over 2 million children!

I am grateful and blessed by your partnership in ministry.  I hope I've said it before but in case you haven't heard me say it in a while, "I could not do this without your partnership!" I rely on your prayers.  The challenges ahead of me are God-sized and only with His strength and power will I accomplish what He has for me.  Will you pray for me weekly?  I am starting a private facebook group to share prayer requests and praises.  If you'd like to join me send me a private message on facebook or email me.  Your financial generosity is a double blessing.  Thank you! 

May God be gracious to us and bless us and cause His face to shine on us*,

joy



* This scripture from Psalm 67 is beautifully portrayed in this prayercast video, aptly named, Shine.  A great addition to your devotions.














































1 comment: