Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Flexibility


My body is definitely feeling less flexible as the years go by but fresh fallen snow (on my last HMA) still calls out for me to flex my muscles and make snow angels! Despite the encroaching signs of aging God seems to be prodding me to greater flexibility in my thinking and activities. From revelations that God is so much bigger than I think He is to lots and lots of changes to our plans for ministry - my journey in Sudan has certainly been a stretching exercise.

When Reuben Kirui joined Mango Ministries last May 1st I thought he would be with us for a long, long time. I never imagined I'd be looking for another Development Officer this soon. But I am. Please continue praying that God will send us his perfect man or woman to fill Reuben's shoes as team leader in Akot.

When there are no reports of gunfire from Akot for a week or so a sense of security seems to come over me and I breath a sigh of relief. I think, "Good, it's over, everyone is going to get along now! The team will be free to travel around and the community can concentrate on important things like planting crops, school, and church activities can proceed instead of everyone's focus being on survival." But Sunday night in Akot there were gunshots fired, someone was injured, and the community once again is fearful and movement is limited.

Please pray for an end to the fighting, regardless of the reasons which are many (cattle raiding, disputes over elections, disarmament, tribal fighting, etc.) and for people to concentrate on living together in harmony. The insecurity has impacted our teams ability to travel around in our target communities and people's availability to engage in dialogue and activity.

Pastor Martha tells a story at her church after the first Storytelling Seminar

Today Joseah and Simon are conducting a follow-up seminar to the Bible Storying Seminar held last October with 25 church leaders. Pray that all who attend may leave with a renewed enthusiasm for sharing scripture through stories, digging for the treasures within, and opportunities to encourage others to apply those treasures, or Biblical truths, to their lives.

Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit former Tenwek colleagues, Len and Cindy Ramsey, who are now involved in a medical ministry on the shores of Lake Tanganyika in Tanzania. I had a wonderful time seeing their ministry and discussing ways to strengthen their ministry. I'm thankful for opportunities to visit, encourage, and share and learn from fellow missionaries in an effort to strengthen our Kingdom activities. Pray that I'll be a Kingdom networker: taking full advantage of opportunities to share experiences, resources, and insights.
Please also pray that I will be able to exercise my mental, spiritual, emotional, and physical muscles so I'll have maximum flexibility in East Africa's ever changing landscape.

Thank you for your prayers that strengthen me and the impact Mango Ministries is having.

Shalom,

joy


"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow." James 4:14







No comments:

Post a Comment