Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cracked Pots


Sometime ago I acquired an asparagus fern while I was at Tenwek.  I loved this fern because it reminded me of my Grandmom Smith.  My Grandmom lived in the Detroit suburbs in a house my Grandfather built and it had a sunroom where no less than a dozen asparagus ferns resided ~ it was all light and green and airy and I loved it.  When I moved from Tenwek I left the fern with a girlfriend in Nairobi.  I happened to move into her house a year later and loved sitting on the porch watching my fern grow and remembering my Grandmom Smith.  One day last year I looked over and the fern's pot was broken into several pieces that were still clinging to the wedge of soil and roots inside.  I hadn't been taking very good care of this fern because when I really got a good look-see I noticed that inside the pot it was all roots and very little soil.  The growing roots had broken apart the pot.  I split the plant in 2, bought 2 more big pots and repotted the plants, glad for the opportunity to now have 2 asparagus fern plants.  

The last 2 months have been hard on me.  My head is telling me I'm like those brand new pots I brought home from the hardware store down at the Karen Shopping Center.  Strong, solid, and able to withstand any combination of dirt and roots placed inside.  As I've had to lessen my activities, mainly no heavy lifting, in recent weeks I'm slowly, oh so slowly, coming to the conclusion that I may not be that pot.  To be honest I've been a little disappointed that my body has let me down.  Can anyone relate to that?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to check into assisted living quite yet.  As I stand over a heavy piece of luggage and want to weigh it and realize I better not pick it up I realize I'm mad.  I used to be able to do this.  You mean I have to rely on someone else to do it for me, when it's convenient for them, and I get to watch?  Yea, I think that's what I mean. 

I realize that my pot is slightly cracked.  I may not be able to lift 50 pound duffle bags anymore. I may need to ask for help when moving potted plants, furniture, and boxes.  I will need to respect the limits my body is setting.  I also need to come to terms that God can use me despite limitations that come along.  
 
As I anticipate returning to Kenya and Sudan next month please pray for continued healing after my surgery which went successfully.  I continue to have some pain which I am told is expected after surgery.  I'm a little impatient to be on-the-go again!  Also pray that I will come to terms with my current pot! Scripture tells us, "we are all the work of the potter's hands." (Isaiah 64:8b)    Despite the cracks that I have, and that you have, Jesus still has jobs for us to do - and the plant, or responsibilities He has given each of us, fits the pot.  My desire is to help the people of Sudan realize the hope of the Kingdom of God in their lives, and communities, and nation.  I continue to be in contact with two mission hospitals in South Sudan who are asking for WGM's assistance.  Reuben Kirui, from Tenwek Community Health & Development is also waiting for my return so we can begin planning and implementing a community based health & development outreach into South Sudan.  The needs in Sudan are more real now than ever before.  The Sudanese desperately need the hope that Jesus brings!  Pray with us as we recruit a team, choose a location to work in, and begin building relationships.  

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."  2 Corinthians 4:7

With the all surpassing power of Him who saved us,
joy
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment